GOOD HEALTH FOR SENIOR CITIZENS.
As Senior Citizens, we need to understand that sound mind lives in a sound body. Health is essential for all our activities of life whatever we may be – a doctor, a leader, an artist etc., we must possess health by all means.
Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits - Thomas Jefferson.
Good health is the secret of every happy senior citizen. Everyone needs to focus on their health and participate in activities worthy of keeping them healthy.
5 Value of Exercise to the good health of Senior Citizens
- Exercise imparts endurance as performing daily task of physical activity will make your heart, lungs as well as circularity system fit.
- Exercise makes your body flexible as with regular reaching, stretching moreover with bending. It keeps your muscles relaxed plus joint mobile.
- It leads to cardiovascular plus aerobic conditioning. Heart failure is the leading cause of death in humans. Bad eating habits and no exercise make your heart sick. Aerobic exercise with a healthy diet can make your health all fit and beautiful.
- It maintains core stability, strengthens human muscles which are present over spine as well as abdomen and pelvic floor. Such muscles control posture, balance along with efficiency/power that is required by the body.
- Exercise is also effective in gaining strength and improving body posture.
OTHER MUST DO ACTIVITIES TO ENJOY GOOD HEALTH AS A SENIOR CITIZENS
- PHYSICAL STABILITY – As a senior citizen, you should endeavor to maintain physical stability in all ways. It is vital for the good health, the regular morning walk and exercise will give you proper physical stability. Waling exercise is one of the best form of better health. Senior citizens should prefer it regularly because it is very beneficial to the health. Mae this a daily practice, it thus help maintain body fitness.
- DRINK SUFFICIENT WATER – You must learn to drink everyday plenty of water for good health, because it is a matter of great concern for maintaining the health. It is one of the best ways to take care of one’s health, because it reduces the risk of infection, keeps skin healthy, reduces the risk of heart attack, burns body fat and also regulates the body temperature.
- RELAXABLE SLEEP – As a senior Citizen, it is always good to take the relaxable sleep, it helps to remove the stress from the mind and give rest to the body system. It is very vital for the health and fresh mind, you are advised to make this a habit as a senior citizen.
- PROPER NUTRITION – To enjoy healthy living as a senior citizen, Proper nutrition is essential. When people eat good food, they will get the proper nutrition and this is very useful for the health.
- HEALTH CHECKUP – Health checkup for senior citizen is also very important. Senior citizens should be aware of their health and learn from experts about their development regarding their vital signs, if you are active and healthy as a senior citizen, you can be shining example to others and teach them how to achieve vibrant health.
Good Health is important because a man with good health can enjoy great happiness during his life time. Without health we cannot do anything in this world. A man suffering from fever remains confined to bed. He cannot get out of doors, he cannot do anything for anybody.
Health is more valuable than wealth. Even a poor person with good health is happier than the rich person with poor health. Yes, health is wealth, unfortunately, very few people care about this ‘health.’ Instead, we spend sleepless days and night, running after material wealth forgetting that the first step to acquiring material wealth is to have good health as senior citizens.
God bless you all as you live and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
By Afolabi Babatunde
Senior Admin Officer
NNPC/DPR RSA, Lagos Branch.